Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Freasting on flowers

The sun is shining through the trees covered in white fresh snow this morning. Yes, it snowed again last night. Fred scraped the new inch or two off the front deck this morning. I am so glad that he can do that. We have been to DC several times since I last wrote. We are adjusting to the new drug trial protocol. He is given a vaccine with his cancer DNA in it each month. He is also given immune booster shots. We are wanting the body to learn to have an immune response to the cancer and start fighting it. His PSA is going down, but we know some of that is because of the radiation treatments he had in August. So far the shots make him feel like he has the flu for a couple of weeks and then he feels pretty good for a couple of weeks before we start the whole process over again. This morning he is out helping his friend, Chuck. He went with him yesterday for a couple of hours too. I think it is so good for him to get out and work a little and spend time with another guy.



My latest observation is that Fred only has one soldier left and he thinks that it is me.



I am sitting at my dining room table enjoying my morning cup of coffee. Out my window the birds are busy at the feeder and the trees look like and old fashioned Christmas card. When the snow started falling this week every thing seems blanketed in peaceful silence. Another long winter has moved into stay. Just one more day and we are off to DC for the week. These past weeks at home have been great. We finished putting away the lawn furniture and put the flower pots to bed for the winter. I cut off all the plants, took them to the chicken yard, and watched my chickens feast on the last blooms of the season.



Oh, I forgot to tell you that Fred gave me a dozen chickens for our anniversary. Yes he did. I think he was looking for some normal activities around here. We had chickens for years and butchered them at Carrie's request when she lived here. She was tired of taking care of them when we were gone. So it has been a couple of years since we have had any. Our new chickens are just starting to lay. There is nothing like fresh eggs.



A couple of weeks ago Fred pitched a rotten apple over the deck rail at the chicken yard. He heard a chicken squawk and didn't think anything about it. The next day he came in and told me I had a dead chicken. So I went to check it out...nothing wrong with it that I could see. I don't know why it has died. A couple of days later he tells me about the apple and says, " I think I killed that chicken." I told him that was pretty expensive target practice, he said he never even looked he just threw it. We have had a good laugh over that one. He couldn't do that again if he tried.



This has been a restful month at home watching the snow come down the mountains, but we are looking forward to seeing Skip and Sandi again. I called them last Saturday and they were having their usual Saturday lunch at the crab shack. They are so excited that we are coming to spend the weekend with them. It is Skip's birthday and I think there is a party planned. They will be there at the airport in DC to pick us up Friday night. They are such a blessing to us. God just keeps blessing us in the most unusual ways.

3 comments:

carrie said...

Thank you for finally blogging. You should try it more often. Have fun in DC with your friends.

Anonymous said...

I can really picture you sitting at the table. Thank you for that. We are continuing to keep you both in our prayers and look forward to seeing you soon.

Love,
Shane

Anonymous said...

OK,Fred next time you pitch something look or you will be getting sea gulls next. I didn't think you would try things like me. Maybe you'll have alot of snow and then when you go to DC you will get to see how the other half lives without it. Thanks for blogging I had given up looking.