Saturday, August 18, 2007

We're home

It is good to be home were the weather is cool. A few more days and we will be adjusted to the 4 hour time difference. Sadie was so glad to see Fred, she will hardly let him out of her sight. We are so thankful to everyone that helped take care of our home and animals while we were away this summer. Jane & Jim, Sandy & Rodney, Katya & Katie.

Katie is moving in Carrie's old room in a couple of weeks. She house sat for us several times in the past year and took care of the B&B the last couple of weeks. It will be great for us to have someone here while we are gone. We look forward to encouraging her too along the way. Carrie has been gone a year already.

36 years ago today we got married in a little country church on the prairie. What an adventure it has been. We are so blessed with all our children, grandchildren, family and friends around the world. It is great to spend this day together at home.

I was talking to Uncle George yesterday and remembering some of the highlights of that day. He and Dale stole the bride (me). I can still see Fred standing on the church steps and waving as we went by. They didn't think he was any fun at all. By the time we got a few miles to the Maurine Store, they were ready to take me back. Apparently my Dad had told them that was as far as they could go. Funny how they took that seriously. I remember having a good laugh with them and then going back the the church.

Fred remembers that Aunt Jean kept decerating the car. He was busy packing the car and everytime he went in the house to get something, it was decorated again. He would wash it go back inside and she would decorate again. He was sure she did it 6 or 7 times until there was no shaving cream left. When we sold that car, a 1968 Ford Galxie 500, it still had a ghost of "Just Married" on the trunk.

My favorite mental picture of that day was the trip to the church. You see it had rained for the first time in six weeks that night and Dad didn't want our 2.5 mile dirt driveway torn up by driving on it wet. So when it rained we would drive on the prairie. Fred & I were in the car ready to head for the church when Dad came over and said, "Ahhh Fred, I don't want to offend you or anything, but you need to drive on the prairie. I think Marie should drive, cause she should know where to go to stay off the gumbo." Fred said okay and I got in the driver seat. No pressure!!! Usually when I drove the prairie I was following Dad. I really wasn't too sure where to go. Dad and I chatted a few minutes about where I should drive and we took off. I have this picture in my mind of the 4-6 foot sage brush flying by the window along with a lot of mud and water. Fred is hanging on to the dash board and the arm rest for dear life. The wedding dress is flapping on the hook in the window behind me and we are flying across the prairie. I kept the gas peddle pushed to the floor most of the way. The only thing that I could think of was that I did not want to get stuck this day. We got there safe and sound but after the trip, I don't remember a lot about the rest of the day. We still work at trusting each other.

5 comments:

SKKD Lambing said...

Happy Anniversery! I didn't hear Shane sing the song this morning! Oh wait I'm the one that sings the Song! We'll get yeah next year. Thanks for sharing the memories with us other kids. Glad you are both doing better and enjoying being home. May God continue to bless you as a couple, your lives, and your family.

Love, Kristi

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the memories.

Love ya,
Shane

Anonymous said...

Great! Now I have to go find some kleenex! My first memory of the day is waking up in the basement full of girls, and seeing you walk around the room waving your hands around. Drying your nail polish, if I remember correctly... Was is 5 am? And was that wedding at 9 am or eight? I remember it was early since it was mid-August and we were trying to beat the heat.

Hope your new chickens are settling in today. What a pair the two of you are!

Love ya!
Laila

Anonymous said...

Happy belated anniversary. I am glad that you are back home and that the radiation helped with Fred's pain. What an adventure you two have had, what great memories--I remember well your story of the move to Alaska. Best wishes on your next trip(s?)for treatment. Love to both of you. Cleo

Anonymous said...

FRED AND MARIE!!!
I miss you two so much, yes even you fred. I can't believe you have 8 beautiful grandchildren! I was just looking at misty's pics and wow, what a reunion! Sounds like you had a busy summer, happy anniversary and welcome home! Wish I could give you both big hugs. I think of you often.
Love Jen