Monday, February 14, 2011

Just A Trip To Town

We went to town last Thursday. Left the dock at 10am, went by boat taxi 20 min. Then hiked up the long slippery clay river bank to a waiting car taxi. We crammed 5 of us in the little taxi and drove 45min to the Mission Headquarters. We had made arrangements to borrow a car for the day. Jim forgot and left with our borrowed car. Phil made some cell phone calls and decided to start walking in that direction. We flagged down another taxi. Finally we were with our car borrowed for the day.

We got 3 stops made before we met some friends for lunch. First stop the electric supply for parts, then fan repair shop and finally the most important- gas for the car. Lunch was fabulous. We ate at a wonderful buffet with all kinds of yummy meats right off the rotisserie grill, lots of fresh fruit and vegetables and AIR CONDITIONING. The rest of the afternoon was spent walking the crowded down town streets shopping for all those important things for us and other staff members. Including the open air vegetable and fruit markets that are about a square block each. Oh the smells, mostly of produce in varying stages of decay.

At 5pm we were back at the MH meeting up with everyone and loading a van with everyone's valuables. Back we went in the van through the streets. This time we had a Brazilian driver in rush hour traffic. We had more than on close call with horns honking and inches from contact with buses and trucks. Back at the river bank 45min later, our boat taxi driver is late. While we waited we watched a huge truck of 28# propane bottles be unloaded onto a barge. They rolled them down a narrow ramp, banging and slamming into each other. Woh......OCIA would have a fit.

The taxi finally came. Of course by now it was raining and the river banks were as slick as snot. No one fell, but our shoes were gummed with so much mud I almost went down trying to get from one end of the boat to the other. There we were in the dark with no lights on the boat, trying to make it through huge patches of floating grass. At last we were flying along in the open water of the Amazon so close to home. The clouds had parted some and the moonlight was beautiful. I could see the stars and a big jetliner high in the sky. The warm breeze felt good on my face.

Across the water I could see a small light coming out to the dock. What a welcome sight, a flash light. Soon we were making our way across the dock and the narrow plank then up the slippery bank. I was so grateful for the HS boys that made all those trips to bring our goods up from the dock. Home again safe and sound. Thank you Lord. It was 7:30pm. Shower, supper and off to bed. I slept good that. night.

1 comment:

Willo said...

Marie, I loved the descriptions of your activities in Brazil. It was sadly soulful to read about the last months you had together,before Fred passed away. What an amazing family you have.